Monday, May 10, 2010

Lightning

Changing water was a fact of life. Everyone did it. If you weren’t strong enough to pull tubes out of the ditch, you got to drag them from one land to the next.

I remember one night in particular when we drove out to the land we had behind May Carpenter’s late at night. It was very dark and very stormy. As we were driving over I watched lightning strike through my car window. It suddenly struck me (no pun intended) that standing out in a big open field in inches of water while holding a giant metal tube in my hand wasn’t the brightest of ideas. Who cares if I’m wearing rubber boots?!

By the time we got there, I had quite frightened myself and I begged and pleaded to stay in the car. Now, it wasn’t unusual for me to do outrageous things to get out of doing chores, but my parents must have seen the pure terror in my eyes because they let me stay in the car. Even Damian didn’t tease me about it. I remember praying as hard as I could that no one out there would get struck by lightning.

True story; God answers prayers. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment