Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hidden Mountains

Turns out, I was just not a very observant kid. There is a mountain range to the west of our house. It’s distant, but it’s definitely part of the horizon. The color, though, is often a perfect camouflage against the sky. It wasn’t until my teen years that I actually noticed those mountains. I very clearly remember being in the car with Mom, looking out to the west and in all sincerity asking the stupidest question of my life.

“Mom, have those mountains always been there?”

Despite the raucous laughter from my friends in the back seat, Mom made me feel a billion times better when she told me that she was a teenager before she ever noticed them, too. Thanks, Mom.

2 comments:

  1. I started coming to IF in 1968 (I was 19) when I got engaged to your Uncle DelRoy. I didn't notice those mountians til about 9 years ago (2001) when my son moved to the Sun Valley area on the other side of those mountains--the Sawtooths.
    Aunt Alease

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe those mountains really ARE invisible. Maybe it's one of those You Have to be Worthy to See Them kind of things..

    ReplyDelete