Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Irises

Even as a child I loved flowers. I watched my mom plant flower beds and, like any other momma’s girl, I soon wanted one for myself. So my mom gave me a flower bed just for me. It was just west of the red shed, under the clothesline. I don’t think I planted it, but I was in charge of weeding it. (Surely this was Mom’s dream come true.) That wasn’t exactly what I had been thinking, but it was all made up for by the fact that I could pick my flowers any time I wanted. Which was awesome. Cuz really, who lets their kids pick the flowers that they so carefully and lovingly planted? Though, I only really remember picking them once; on Memorial Day to put on Tamra’s grave.  They were purple irises, by the way.

I think my responsibility over that bed lasted approximately just that one year.  Because I was like any normal kid when I realized that something cool like a flowerbed or a pet required responsibility as well as being awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment